Thursday, October 4, 2007

Communion: More than an add-on


I have been in too many evangelical worship services where the sharing of communion felt individualized and rushed, when it seems that scripture defines it as relational and sacred. This Sunday at CCF, we will share in communion together. As I began to discern what to preach on, it dawned on me again that communion is more than an add-on at the end of a service. I know we know that...But, I feel like we too often do our thing on Sunday; 5 songs, welcome, greet, announce, pray, offering, preach and then the Pastor tries to make the message he preached somehow connect us to a time around the Lord's table and then...Communion time. And you better hurry because you are already 4 minutes past the end of the service. I am guilty too, by the way!

You know, I am thinking communion itself could take 90 minutes (and the "the service") if we would let it. Here are some of the words in scripture (in Luke 22 & I Cor. 10-11) associated with the communion experience:
  • Remember
  • Examine
  • Participate
  • Anticipate
  • Together
  • As One
  • Proclaim
If we do this together on Sunday, I am convinced that it will indeed be a message! A message that takes scripture seriously and really engages us with how Jesus feels about us! With 55 hour work weeks and 55 other things to do on top of that, I hope that this weekend we slow down and stop long enough to sit at the table and share!

No comments: