Thursday, March 12, 2009

Leadership Lessons...Get er' done!

Here are a few leadership principles that I have been thinking about recently, likely as a result of having a larger staff. Not fully developed these yet, but here goes.
  • I will lead many people in my life toward spiritual growth. I need to learn that I am not necessarily responsible for their growth, but that they grow. There's a difference.
  • Similarly, I am certainly not always going to be the one doing the discipling, but I will have to be sure that people are being discipled. There's a difference.
  • I have caught myself telling Staff members recently..."You don't have to do it, but have to get it done." There's a difference.

You can be responsible and held accountable that something happens and yet never touch it with your hands. This thinking basically pushes this "delegation" thing out more.

I just think that if leaders stretched their trust and became more willing to let other people touch things, they would see more growth, measure deeper discipleship and get more done!

Here's to "Gettin' er done!"

--Noah

(Yes, I wrote this. And, yes, I am preaching to myself.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

those are really great Noah. I am definitely saving these and applying them.

TJ

Noah said...

Great, TJ. Miss you man. Would love to see you someday. Please tell me if you will ever be out here this way. And I will do the same for you in Detroit.

Anonymous said...

The novel, Signs and Wonders, by Philip Gully, who is a Quaker minister gives truth in a humorous way. One scenario in Chapter 9 expresses the point you listed: Pastors influence our growth but are not responsible to make us grow.

Quote:
..."It said so in his contract, on the fifth page, "Pastor will be responsible for the spiritual well-being of the church members."

He had argued against it at the time.

"How can I be responsible for your spiritual growth. Isn't that up to you?"

Fern Hampton had cocked her head and stared at him...

Noah said...

Thanks, anonymous! That's a good connection and point. Thanks for engaging it.