Friday, September 21, 2007

On being "Mennecostal"

Born, raised and educated in the Assemblies of God, I am a Pentecostal Christian who believes in the empowerment and function of the Holy Spirit in my life. I rely on and seek the gifts and power of the Holy Spirit recognizing that "we will receive power to be witnesses" when the Holy Spirit comes on us. (Acts 1:8)

Additionally, I am pastoring a Mennonite congregation and credentialed with the Lancaster Conference of the Mennonite Church USA. I am thrilled to be a part of this rich heritage and theology of peace and reconciliation. The message of peace, hope, restoration and justice that is such an intricate part of the Mennonite tradition is to me, fresh and vital to my faith journey and leadership in this metropolitan context.

So, here is what I am deeply hungry to explore: How might I see my life and my congregation fully embrace the empowerment of the Holy Spirit among us while also truly embracing and living out God's call to be peacemakers? What if we combined the power of Pentecost with the power of peace? You would have your hands full to convince me that this is NOT is a recipe for renewal and revival of God's people and the world!

2 comments:

Ken said...

I like "pentenite" better personally.

Unknown said...

Amen and Amen:)