Sunday, February 8, 2009

Why I Watch the Grammy's

Here are a few things about me that usually shock people:
  • I do not watch stuff that is fiction. If it cannot happen in real life, I usually do not have any interest in watching it. Not against it, just don't prefer spending my time watching it. It's more torture than entertainment. That applies to both TV and Movies. Don't read fiction either.
  • Never seen Star Wars.
  • Never seen Lord of the Rings.
  • Never seen Star Trek.
  • I am really, really stupid when it comes to pop culture in general. I MIGHT be able to name 1 in every 10 "famous" actor, actress, TV Star or singer that you showed me a picture of.
Not necessarily proud of all of this, but it is what it is. So, where am I going with this? Every now and then I try to connect into pop culture. Something like the Grammy awards is a great place to do that. Here's why:
  • Get to see what people are resonding to and how they are responding.
  • Get to know the people that most of my mission field are in tune with. I am certain that many of the unsaved people that God is calling us to reach know all about this music.
  • As a pastor, it gives me a window into what people are searching for. You can see the themes in the songs.
  • Since I do not regularly follow this stuff, watching the Grammy's gives me a good fly over on popular music and artists.
  • I cannot tell you how many times knowing about a musical artist or the tune or a song have connected me to a young person who is shocked that I know about "their music." If that is all it takes to build a bridge...you can bet I am going to build it! If singing Beyonce's "Single Ladies" builds enough connection with our youth that they allow me to speak Jesus into their life, let the singing begin!
"...I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some." I Corinthians 9:22

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Noah is right on! As the youth pastor at his church, I spend almost as much time learning who our young people are looking to (music artists, movies, fashion, trends) as I do in the Word of God. The more you know someone's culture and language the more you can connect with them. Ya feel me moe?!!