Friday, October 5, 2007

A Very Scary Episode at the Kaye's

Last night at 5pm, Daddy was changing Davis on the kitchen counter (for the last time) when Mr. Davis decided to do a face first belly flop onto the hardwood kitchen floor. This was about a 3 foot dive. My heart jumped out of my chest. As I reached for him to catch him, I felt like I was in slow motion. It was so scary! His behavior was immediately very odd (sleepy, no crying) so we called our doctor right away and our doctor told us to call 911. Paramedics came and Davis took an ambulance ride to Children's Hospital (with Tricia) as I followed. They told me that I could not follow the ambulance. Can you imagine sitting there on the side of the road while your child and wife are in an ambulance passing you. Yeah, neither could I. I still can't...seeing as how I followed them! After arriving there at the hospital, we shared some very scary moments in a trauma unit, while Davis got IV's, body x-rays and a CT scan (all while wearing an awful neck brace). Tricia and I sat terrified waiting for the results. I was stoic. I just knew he was fine...as I sat there beating myself up and replaying his fall over and over again in my head. After a long two hours, they declared him totally healthy! They monitored him until 10pm and then we headed home. On the quiet ride home, I kept seeing him fall until I felt nausea and cried. I think I got it all out. We feel better today and he is doing great! We called his Doc and she said unless he starts acting really out of character, he is out of the woods.

I felt better today when Ginny McGill (a friend form church) told me that if a baby has a good fall the first year of their life, they will live long! In that case, long live Davis!

No comments: