Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I guess I'm an Anabaptist!

Naked-anabaptist-cover-small
Different people have told me to read "The Naked Anabaptist" for quite some time.  I finally did. And I am so glad I did!  Look, I really do not know how to review this book.  It was so profoundly impactful for the theological pilgrimage that I have been on that it would be hard to put it into words for you.  

Let me say this: "The Naked Anabaptist" is a humble, provocative and prophetic book!  The tone is gracioius, the content is stirring and the Anabaptist tradition is laid out in a very honest way. The book basically deals a little with the history of Anabaptism, a little with the weaknesses of it, and alot with the core convictions that set it apart to be a prophetic and powerful voice to a post-christendom society. Here are the seven core convictions that the book works through:

  1. Jesus is our example, teacher, friend, redeemer and Lord.
  2. Jesus is the focal point of God’s revelation.
  3. Western culture is slowly emerging from the Christendom era when church and state jointly presided over a society in which almost all were assumed to be Christian.
  4. The frequent association of the church with status, wealth and force is inappropriate for followers of Jesus and damages our witness.
  5. Churches are called to be committed communities of discipleship and mission, places of friendship, mutual accountability and multi-voiced worship.
  6. Spirituality and economics are inter-connected.
  7. Peace is at the heart of the gospel.

 

Now, be careful before you quickly conclude that you agree with these.  We only believe that which we really live. And I would assert that few of us actually live this stuff. 

 

There is lots more I want to say about this book (and I may say some of it in future blogs), but let me end with this for now:

 

After 15 years connected to an Anabaptist (Mennonite) church and network, 7 years leading an Anabaptist congregation, reading many books, studying the scriptures, growing in the Lord, and running with an anabaptist tribe (though embarassed to be at times).....and after reading this book, I am ready and willing to boldly declare that if Anabaptist life and values are really what are shared within the pages of this book, then I guess I'm an Anabaptist! There I said it.  

1 comment:

RR said...

Noe! Why don't you get in touch with Daniel? Just a thought...