Monday, November 1, 2010

Saying Goodbye to our "Grandparents"

Sometimes it feels like my family tree is a Bonsai. It's just small. Barely a tree!

Here are a few interesting facts:
  • First of all, the extent of family I have on my Dad's side is my Dad! That's it. No more (that we know of or connect to in any way).
  • My parents are both only children. Hence, I have no Aunts, no Uncles and no Cousins.
  • All four of my Grandparents have passed away. Tricia's too.
  • So, the only extended family I have are Great Aunts, Great Uncles, Second Cousins, etc.
  • Of that extended family (on Mom's side only, of course), we see most of them rarely if ever and barely have any relationship at all (with very few exceptions).
All that to say, we have a very small "family" making us all the more thankful for who we do have.

We spent this weekend in Ellerslie/Columbus, GA visiting with my Great Aunt & Great Uncle (Gordon and Elsie) and Second Cousins (Monty and Bruce) and their families. The time with them was precious.

But, last night we had an emotional goodbye...

You see, for the last 15 years, I have held Gordon and Elsie as my Grandparents on this earth (Gordon was my Popa's brother). And over the last 10 years, Tricia has begun to do the same. They mean so much to us. I think this is our 8th trip here in 10 years. We have just prioritized knowing what little family I have. It's one of our last connections to my heritage.

Speaking of heritage-- we named Davis (our son) after this side of the family...after these folks here in GA that we love. Davis is my Mom's maiden name.

Gordon and Elsie are both just shy of 80 years old and both are failing in health. There were days that we wondered if we'd make it down to see them before they met Jesus. We did! And we are thankful for it.

When we said goodbye last night, it was hard! We were saying goodbye to our "Grandparents"! We know that their is a strong possibility that we will not be back to see them until 2013 or later. And by then, one or both may be with the Lord. They know that. We know that. We talked about it. We cried. But, I told them everything I felt, how much I love them, what they have meant to me! We WILL see them again one day...for sure!! It just may not be on this earth.

This is all a part of finishing well to head overseas in response to God's call. Not easy, but the Lord gives extra grace for this and we are thankful.
_____________________
Here is Gordon & Elsie this weekend. And one of Elsie & Davis. Priceless Moments.


No comments: