Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Review: "The Book of Eli"

While the air about 38,000 feet over top of India last week, I watched the movie, "The Book of Eli." It had been recommended to me by numerous people. Here are a few of my thoughts:

The story revolves around Eli, a nomad in a post-apocalyptic world, who is charged with delivering the last remaining Bible, to a safe location on the West Coast in California. The history of the post-war world is explained along the way as is the importance of Eli's task. Through many challenges, Eli makes it to the west coast and delivers the Bible to a place that ends up being the printing press where Bibles are reproduced for many more to have.

What I liked:
  • I think the Denzel Washington is a fantastic Actor. He always captivates me in any role he plays. The film held my attention.
  • Eli's commitment to the task of delivering the Bible to it's destined location was extremely deep! He was determined and courageous.
  • I loved watching a movie where the main character was focused on reading, memorizing, carrying, protecting and delivering the Bible! Pretty awesome.
  • Although twisted at times, the movie communicated a strong message that the Word of God has significant power. And it does!
  • I really loved the scene in the movie where Eli talks about the days when we appreciated nothing (now). This was especially highlighted when the context of the film was one where water, shampoo or a KFC hand wipe was a reason to party! They had nothing. We have everything.
  • I loved how Eli dictated the Bible to the printer at the end of the movie--from his heart. It had been "hidden in his heart."
What I did not like:
  • The physical violence. Especially since it does not match the heart of the "Jesus of the Book"!
  • The bad language. Language never adds to a movie for me. It always subtracts. In fact, I tend to think that even "carnal" people would never leave a movie and be impressed with the language. I do not think that I have ever heard anyone say..."Man, that movie was awesome! I really loved the foul language!"
  • While I love the word of God, I do NOT love it more than the God of the word. In this movie, the Bible is the focal point while the teachings within it are not always lived out. This troubled me.
That said, it was full of messages that need spread, and reached people that you, me or a church may never reach. I am sure that God can use it. Liked it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thought the movie was okay. Loved the concept of the bible literally being written on his heart and mind.

Found it almost comical that the elightened civilization was in San Fransisco.

Cat