Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Preach, Preacher!

Preaching is an interesting calling. Still not sure I have ever preached. I think I teach...and then accidentally preach sometimes. Anyway...while, preparing to "talk" last Sunday, I had an epiphany.

It seems to me that preaching usually goes something like this: Read a text. Then talk and yell and persuade and joke and talk and share about your point(s). And hope people are blessed and pushed toward God. The end. It just SEEMS (and I am guilty too) that the text is the intro and the rest of the talking is the preaching.

As I have preached this series on Colossians this month, the Lord has been showing me that the Bible can preach!!! Without my help! I can read it and let it do it's thing by the Power of the Spirit. It felt good this week to just let the Bible preach instead of me.

After all, what Pastor could ever preach a single sermon on Sexual Immorality, Impurity, Lust, Evil Desires, Greed, Idolatry, Anger, Rage, Slander, Malicious Behavior, Dirty Language, Lying, Mercy, Kindness, Humility, Gentleness, Patience, Forgiveness, Love, and Peace. The Apostle Paul did on Sunday at CCF--Colossians 3!

Preach the word!

No comments: