Monday, November 30, 2009

God's Hand or God's Face?

Dear Lord, help me with ___________.

Dear Jesus, heal my ____________.

Dear God, I need ____________.

Dear Lord, please help me accomplish _____________.

Dear God, I need money for _____________.

I've been thinking a lot recently about this question:

Are we more interested in seeking the face of God or the hand of God?

The hand of God are the things that he has for me and the things that I want him to do for me out of his great power and grace.

The face of God is his presence, his majesty, his beauty...me telling the Lord how amazing he is with no strings attached. Praise. Worship. Adoration. Thanksgiving.

Here's my theory for what it's worth:

The more that we seek the face of God, the more we will receive what's in his hand.

And the more we seek the hand of God, the easier it is to forget about his face...which may lead to him closing his fist.

I'm not saying it is wrong to present you requests to God. It's biblical. But, do not neglect the first thing...

"Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name...." (Start with praise.)

"...give us today our daily bread." (Then, ask for your bread.)

No comments: