Monday, February 2, 2009

Taking Down the Wall

Two weeks ago, we discussed some reasons for why you may feel far from God at times in your life. We outlined why a WALL may form between us and God. You can scroll down on this page right now and read it. I posted notes last week.

Yesterday, we moved into the second part of the question. Okay, if I feel separated from God, what can I do about it? Here is what I shared Sunday that may help us remove the bricks and remain in connection with our Father.
  1. Presence. If we would would learn to thoroughly believe the presence promises found in scripture, we may often find Him nearer. I think that we accuse God of playing hide and seek many times when he doesn't deserve it. See Jeremiah 29:13-14, Matthew 18:20 and John 14:16-17.
  2. Quality and Quantity time with God. If you are not spending time with the Lord in prayer and the Word and you feel far from God, NO WONDER!
  3. Properly define and respond to temptation. James 1: 13-15 says "When tempted, no one should say, 'God is tempting me.' For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death." I will post about this in more detail later, but here is the bottom line. If we would stop treating and reacting to temptation like it is sin (because it is not, see Hebrews 4:15), we would avoid a whole lot of mess in our lives! More on this later.
  4. Confession. To God...Acts 3:19. And to others...James 5:16.
  5. Accountability. I believe in personal accountability, communal accountability and layered accountability. I could write about each, but this post is getting too long and you won't read it. This is my theme verse as I personally navigate accountability: Proverbs 27:17 says, “As Iron sharpens iron; so one man sharpens another.
  6. Obedience. If disobedience builds the wall between us and God, then obedience takes it down. John 14...it says 3 times "obey me" and I will reveal myself to you.
May we all say no to Sin and yes to God more this week! Because here's the deal...

You sin!

And sin separates you from God!

So, may we listen to scripture and start lessening that separation. Some call it sanctification. :-)

--Noah

No comments: