Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Washington Bible College...Connection!

I just returned from a breakfast meeting with Dr. Larry Mercer, the President of Washington Bible College. He has been in leadership there since 2005. The selection of an African American President for this local PG County Bible College has already paid big dividends.

As I returned back to the office, I felt that I needed to engage a few thoughts. First of all, I was thrilled to see that WBC has made some big strides forward in the last few years. This summer they were granted regional accreditation! There is a real sense that good things are happening and God is moving there. The new President, Dr. Mercer is a super guy with a great heart for this community, the lost and the expansion of the Kingdom of God in the DC area. Perhaps one of the highlights for me as a Pastor of a church sharing a zip code with the college is that he said that he has heard many great things about CCF, is attracted to what God is doing here and wants to strengthen our relationship. As we continue to connect in the weeks and months to come, we will be exploring ways that we can relate to one another. I cannot help but wonder and dream about how we can participate together in making impact for Jesus in 20706 and beyond.

How many churches are in the same zip code as an accredited Bible College on the outskirts of one of the most important cities in the nation, and perhaps the world? What would happen if local churches and institutions of education worked in harmony with one another for the sake of Christ? This excites me even more when I factor in my personal passion for the Christian Higher Education experience that flowed out of my years as a Student and Staff Member at Valley Forge Christian College.

On a personal note, there is something very special about this connection with WBC (maybe silly to some, but very profound to me). About 27 years ago, I was carried into Trinity Assembly of God at 6705 Good Luck Road as an infant. Several years later, Trinity moved a few miles down Good Luck Road to 7800 into a new large facility just a few doors down from WBC. Then, 1994-1998 I attended High School at Lanham Christian School located at 8400 Good Luck Road. These were very formative years for me. Add to that the fact that I am still very connected to Lanham Christian School (just spoke there last week and CCF has kids there) and I am personal friends with Paul Mutchler, Pastor of Grace Brethren Church (this is the guy who connected me with Dr. Mercer).

OK, this is wild to me! I am actually having a moment right now as I am writing this! In so many ways my faith was developed and my life was formed on Good Luck Road in Lanham, MD! And now, is it by accident that I have committed my life to serve in leadership at a church ½ mile from Good Luck Road?

Accident? Coincidence? I think not! What is God up to?

No comments: