Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Fascinating Experience with TD Jakes

Last night, we (Tricia, Mom & I) had the chance to go hear TD Jakes speak at First Baptist Church of Glenarden and attend their second day of worship in their new mega-facility. This is one of the largest churches in PG County. It was a truly magnificent space! It was a captivating experience. We were not sure how it would feel to be among the very few Caucasians in an African-American Congregation (of several thousand). We felt warmly received. As I looked around the room I observed that the style of music and singing and the expressions of emotion and excitement were a normal part of their regular worship experience. This is just church...comfortable, natural, inspiring, uplifting...church (for them)! For me, it was entertainment. I felt like I was watching a suspenseful movie waiting on the next scene to unfold. It is hard to explain what it felt like to see these people (men and women alike) express their overwhelming sense of excitement and joy to be at church receiving what God had for them last night. It was amazing in many ways. Every few minutes throughout the night I would seem to "catch" a glimpse of what they must have been feeling, but the majority of the time, I was just staring at the dynamics unfolding before us.

I don't know what I think. As I write this I am still unsure of what I think in a lot of ways. The one thing I felt throughout the evening is that FBCG seems to be embodying who God has called them to be. Across PG County and certainly the world, churches need to continue to be who God is calling them to to be. CCF is meeting unique needs on our journey of being who God has called us to be. We must honestly be who we genuinely are. (hmmm)

I will say this...TD Jakes can preach!!! (By the way, he will be co-hosting with Dr. Phil on September 24th if you want to watch him.)

Peace!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said! It was quite an experience for me. I wish I could have heard T D a little better as the sounds of the congretation over powered him. God bless the work at this beautiful facility!