Sunday, September 30, 2007

Opi from the Shell Station

Great morning at church! With 40 women away at the Women's retreat, I thought we would have sparce attendance, but to my delight there were almost 350 people at church this morning. Praise God!

We learned this morning that the manager of the Shell gas station across the street from the church was shot in an armed robbery this weekend. We prayed for him in our service today and I thought of him throughout the day. I may try to go see him in the hospital this week. I am reminded that this is the street that God has called us to. Crime is all around us. Broken homes leading to broken lives and people are everywhere. God help us.

I really heard the Lord speaking to my heart this morning about our call. Why did we build here? Why did God place us in Lanham, MD in PG County? And since he did, how can we be instruments of peace here? In the months to come, I plan to lead or church into further understanding of the reality of our area and what we can do amidst it.

Lord, grant us help from the Prince of Peace!

No comments: