Whitney Houston died. I pray God's peace be with her family. Seems that most of the rest of the world jsut needed something to talk about. No prob. That's cool. Her funeral was yesterday. I did not watch it. Could not really get it here. Not televised and slow internet.
Today, I saw this clip of Rev. Marvin Winans speaking at the funeral. He called it preaching. I call it heartbreaking. A few quotes with some short commentary:
- "I don't want anybody leaving here thinking God wants anyone here broke!" // Really, Mr. Winans? You were preaching to millions of people. Many were broke. Flat broke. What should they do with the fact that you have now told them that God isn't ok with their brokeness? And why are there 300+ mentions of God's love and care for the poor in the Bible you were holding while you preached?
- Mockingly, he states that folk say "I don't believe in this proserity gospel." To which Mr. Winans responds: "I don't know what other gospel there is!" // Really? I do. It is called the gospel of sacrifice and suffering. The one that our Lord Jesus Christ modeled so perfectly by pouring himself out and humbling himself even to death. (Phil 2)
- "If God wants somebody broke, would you tell me who that is? Who's volunteering?" // To answer your question, I guess God wants more than 80% of the world to be poor, since they ARE. I assume most of Africa must have volunteered?! Seems as though your church isn't volunteering, though. No one raised their hands. They just laughed.
- "When God brough Israel out of Egypt, everybody came out with something." // Really, Mr. Winans? Where is that in the Bible? And what is this supposed to mean, anyway? Because I want to tell some of my friends here in Africa who have nothing "in their hands" today how this can help them.
- "For you to believe that somebody needs to be broke is to say that God does not have enough sufficiency to supply for everybody." // Really, Mr. Winans? Seriously? I am afraid you are deeply missing some vital principles about who God is and what He is up to. And now millions of other people can be as confused as you are.
- "I want you to understand that what God desires for everyone, is for everyone to be healthy and prosperous." // Really? I am sure that this is in the Bible somewhere, but can you remind me of where? And then can you help me administer that reaity to the millions of people on the earth today that are neither healthy or prosperous?
The prosperity gospel runs rampant in Ameirca and in Africa. It is a false gospel. It is damaging and painful to our world. The guys propegating it seem must have AWESOME salaries, live in rich areas and must have rarely, if ever, traveled throughout the world. My heart aches for them, with them and for the many impacted by the pain that their teaching causes.
And sometimes, I just have to speak up. And so I have. I wish I knew Marvin personally and could sit with him and challenge him and hear more from his heart.