Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Myth of a Christian Nation by Greg Boyd

When I read a book, I typically like to write a review on my blog. However, I have been reading too many books to blog about them all. It seems that it's easier to find reading time than blogging time.

A few weeks ago, I finished "The Myth of a Christian Nation" by Greg Boyd. It rocked! There is no possible way that I can start to capture any specifics in this blog review or it would be so long that you would never read it. I was highlighting something every other page...literally.

Let me just say these 3 things:
  1. This book unpacked and described the "Kingdom of God" like nothing I have ever read (other than the Bible itself)! Boyd brought laser focus to the hardest and most difficult to articulate realities of the Kingdom of God. Stunning work.
  2. In my opinion, the title is a tad misleading. The book talks about Kingdom living and Kingdom thinking for the majority of the book and then is "America-specific" for the minority. He does, however, offer a very Biblical view of how to view country-- America or otherwise. Let me not mislead you though...he makes a strong case that he does not believe America is a "Christian Nation." He asserts that NO "Kingdom of this world system" is "Christian." The Kingdom of God and the Kingdoms of this world are distinctly different and will always be.
  3. If you want a fresh and unique dose of Biblical teaching on the Kingdom of God vs. the Kingdoms of this world-- READ THIS BOOK! I highly recommend it. It is probably in my top 10 now!

No comments: