Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The One Thing

Recently, I've been reminded of a series of blogs I read earlier this year on the Swerve blog. The one thing. There are a few places in scripture that we see these words used...and I think they reveal something neat. I will share one today and then maybe a few more in some future blogs.

What one thing do you desire from God?

When David found himself afraid and on the run, he begged God for one thing.

He wrote in Psalm 27:4, “One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple.”

I think that if we could could name one thing that we desire God to do, it could bring laser focus to your prayers. And then perhaps it would allow us to expect from God and wait on him in ways that we haven't before.

Maybe above all else, you want to see one of your family members meet Christ. Or you need to hear God’s voice regarding some major decisions for your future. Or you need God’s healing in your marriage or physical body. Perhaps you are desperate for God's intervention as you parent a rebellious child. Maybe the one thing for you is that God would somehow show up and rescue you from what seems like a hopeless financial predicament.

As you seek reflect, what is the number one thing you desire from God right now? Maybe, like David, it would help you to name it. And pray it.

No comments: