Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Big-deal-sins

It continues to concern me that Christians seem to drop their chins more on certain (bad) sins that they deem more egregious. There is a shock. The reason it concerns me is because I do not see that as being consistent with what I experience as the nature of God and how he sees our sin.

First let me say that I think all sin is a big deal. Sin carries big consequence and has immeasurable negative impact on lives....ultimately death! Sin separates us from God. However, brokenness is brokenness. Setting degrees of "chin-dropping" on certain sins does not seem to help people experience healing. Instead, in my experience, it seems to promote hurt. "You did what?!?!" ""She struggles with what?!?!"

Let me say it this way...there seems to be "big-deal-sins" and "no-big-deal-sins" among believers and it bothers me, because I do not think that it assists in the redemption that Christ envisions. I see it this way...

Big-deal-sins:
  • Illegal behavior (especially if it leads to jail or makes the news)
  • Smoking
  • Drinking
  • Drugs
  • Homosexuality
  • Fornication
  • Adultery
  • Divorce
  • Abortion
No-big-deal-sins:
  • Greed
  • Materialism
  • Gluttony
  • Envy
  • Hate
  • Gossip
  • Slander
  • Laziness
  • Poor Stewardship
Instead, I think that we ought to tackle it this way:
  • ALL sin is a big deal because it messes up God's awesome intention for us!
  • Overreaction to "big-deal-sins" alienates and hurts people, makes them feel unforgiveable, and runs counter to the grace of God. Stop freaking out. You are NOT helping people by dropping your chin and acting like they are the only one on earth who is gay (or you fill in the blank)!
  • Some of the "no-big-deal-sins" actually lead to a dirtier heart than the "big-deal-sins."
Note: My friend who just spent 7 years in prison for a "big-deal-sin" has a purer heart than many Christians that I know who don't do the "big-deal-stuff", but whose hearts are polluted with judgement and negativity.

I know this is controversial stuff, but let's engage it. What do you think?

2 comments:

Barbara C. said...

I totally agree with you! I love the comment about the heart. The truth is those No-big-deal-sins are not usually a one time thing. They easily turn into a way of life more than those who have commited a crime and was forgiven and never did it again. However, things like gossip and laziness don't usually happen once, it becomes habit forming.

ASON said...

Couldn't agree with you more. GOD looks at the heart.