Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Pride or Insecurity?

For quite some time now, I have been testing this theory. Things are not always as they seem. What looks and sounds like one thing could be something very different than you think.


Here is an example:


What seems like pride is often insecurity. And what seems like insecurity of often pride.


Pride: I may ACT like I got it all together and know it all to cover up for the fact that I do not know JACK and am insecure about it. I may come across arrogant. I may look like I am as confident as a lion, but I may actually struggle tremendously with a low self-image and live my every day deeply concerned about what people think of me!


On the flip side...


Insecurity: I may ACT insecure and unsure of myself or draw attention to my "issues" all the time because I really think that it's all about me! That is pride! If I live my life primarily focused on what everyone thinks of ME because I want to look good to everyone, I am actually self-focused and prideful.


So, remember that things are not always as they seem. People are complex. Issues can run deep. And it is our role as believers to be intuitive and sensitive into the real heart of a person, not just what we see and hear on the outside.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Good one! I think your observation is spot-on!

I actually thought a lot about this very issue over the years (suffering from pride vs. insecurity myself) and here's what I come up with: Insecurities lead to Pride (or the Pride of life). We ALL have insecurities to some degree. God made it that way, so that we could lean and depend on Him. But the flesh and the devil tempt each of us to focus on us and our problems (be it positive or negative), instead of Him or others. So you're right. Whether its over-compensating, trying to mask what we lack inside or under-compensating, focusing too much on us and our situation (a form of depression also) stems from our intrinsic insecurity which, if left unchecked, will feed right into our pride of life sin.

Glad to know that we "are complete in Him...". Being away from Him leads to a psychological world of trouble and sin.

Tanya said...

This may alleviate some of the haterz in your life....