Thursday, November 5, 2009

One Decision That Can Change Your Life!!

I hesitated writing this, but I am going to! If you read this blog very often, you know that if I am going to error, it will be on the side of transparency, not secrecy.

I disobeyed the Lord for the last 10-12 years of my life. Period. He has been telling me in hundreds of different ways over the last 10 years that I need to get up in the early morning and be with him. I am driven, task oriented, busy and committed by nature. I go, go, go. Ever since I was a teenager, I have fit God into my days wherever I could. Or not. Many times not. I knew he lived in my heart, so I would justify not spending specific and dedicated time in his presence each day. Sometimes I did mornings. Sometimes afternoons. Sometimes evenings. Sometimes not at all. I heard him say over and over and over..."GET UP IN THE EARLY MORNING AND PUT ME FIRST! Then, you can go, go, go all day in MY strength and not your own."

Well, I began that June 1. 2009, the day that my Sabbatical started. And I ain't slowed down yet! Time with Jesus (1 to 2 hours) comes FIRST in my day!

Here is my theory...Take it or leave it. I think that there is one decision that has the power to drastically change your life. Are you ready? It is profound. Drum roll please....

GO TO BED!!!

Early enough to get up early enough to be with Jesus. Do it every day. Then, your life will never be the same again. One decision. Life changed. Period!

Do the math. Everyone's numbers and times will differ, but here's an example of the thought process:

Time needed to eat breakfast and get ready: 1 hour
Time needed to be with Jesus: 1 hour
Time needed to workout or other responsibility: 30 mins
Time needed for commute: 30 mins
Total time needed in the morning= 3 hours

Time expected at work= 8:30am

8:30am-3hours= 5:30am

Amount of sleep needed= 7.5 hours

Time I need to be asleep= 10:00pm

Time I need to go to bed= 9:45pm

If you think you are a "night person" and will not be able to go to bed that early, I dare you to try getting up at 5:30am for one week and see how tired you are at 9:45pm. Try it. You might be surprised.

Note: I have heard a thousand excuses about why this will not work. I used most of them myself. I buy few of them. The answer to a dedicated and consistent quiet time for the MAJORITY of people is in this blog post.

No comments: