Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Validation

We all need it. We all want it. Some of us need it more than others. Others of us look for it in incessantly in other people. It’s called validation.


I had the opportunity to speak at my father’s church in Georgia on Mother’s Day (Dusty Takle, not me). After I finished, I found myself needing to hear that I did a good job. I asked my Dad, “Did you get any feedback? Any response?”


What was I looking for? Validation.


We all love the attaboys and our egos being a little inflated…..for the Kingdom, of course. Ahem. But, at what point in our ministry do we minister to people for the sake of the Kingdom alone? And, at what point do we realize that the only person who can truly validate us is Jesus Christ?


If we are serving in ministry or otherwise, Jesus Christ has already validated us. If we never hear another “Amazing message!” or “Great job!” again, can we accept God’s validation and stop searching for man’s? When do we say it’s not about me? Not even the tiniest part is about me. It’s about the Kingdom. I must decrease. He must increase. We don’t need any one else to tell us who we are. Pastor Craig has said often, “You are not who people say you are. You are who God says you are.”


We are His children called according to His purpose.


I think that’s validation enough.


Do you struggle with needing validation from others?


-Dusty Takle

(Recently read this on the LifeChurch Swerve Blog. I thought that it was well done and wanted to share it. I think that encouragement is very important, but we mix "encouragement" up with "validation" and "pride" too often. Jesus, give us the humility and the confidence you had!)

No comments: