Thursday, October 29, 2009

Think in YEARS!

I have no problem admitting that I have had a lot of growing up to do over the past years. Still got some ways to go. But, the older I get, the easier it becomes to recognize maturity for what it is. I think that it is healthy to recognize when you're growing up and then thank God for the wisdom he gives. Well, God has been slowly building this into me...

Living with long term perspective drastically impacts short term results and changes how you lead/live.

For too long, I thought in terms of days, weeks or months. Maybe it's something I want to work on at home. Or a new ministry I want to launch at the church. Or a goal I wish to attain. There are few things in life of any real value that are attained in days, weeks or even months.

I think that we need to train ourselves to begin thinking in years more often:
  • 1 Year
  • 3Years
  • 5 Years
  • 10 Years
Chill out and give yourself the permission to think in years! It is powerful. It allows you to lead and live more incrementally, strategically and patiently.

Possible hypothetical examples:
  • We plan to launch a Men's ministry within the next several years.
  • We hope to get out of debt within 2 years.
  • I want to lose 2 pounds a month for the next 3 years.
  • I hope to gain more trust and relational equity at the church over the next 3-4 years.
  • I long to disciple him/her over the next several years.
I really believe that it builds maturity and character when we learn that REAL GOOD STUFF does not happen fast.

So, the word for today is to chill out and think in years!

(Note to self: Come back and read this the next time I am stressing and rushing.)