Saturday, July 11, 2009

Follow Your Heart

Not!!

I have heard people say these types of statements more times than I can count:
  • "Follow your Heart."
  • "Do what you are feeling."
  • "You need to do what you feel is best for you."
I understand that people mean it harmlessly and in the best intention most of the time. However, I object to this thinking and submit that it is dangerous. I think that the intentions are pure, but the outcome can be deadly. Here is what I mean.

The Bible says this:
  • "The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?" Jer. 17:9 Why would we follow something that is deceitful. Is your heart without sin? We might as well follow some demons.
  • "Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed." Proverbs 16:3 We need to subject our next moves to GOD, not ourselves...and the Bible says that we will succeed.
  • "In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps." Proverbs 16:9
So, my theory is this...

Do NOT follow your heart. Follow your God. Walk with him and aim to please him, NOT yourself!!! Instead of following your heart, follow God's heart for you, which is revealed all over the Bible!!

Then, we can say as Paul....

"Follow me as I follow Christ!" I Cor. 11:1

No comments: