Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Unhealthy Church Culture

I promised last week that I would post about unhealthy church culture. However, I have not done so yet. I kinda don't feel like it. Lost my passion for the idea. Look, I have been forced to face enough negative over the last few years. I am rapidly learning to try to shift that focus. Behold, God is doing a new thing!

If you were one of the folks waiting for that post, here is what you do. Click here and read my post about healthy church culture. Unhealthy church culture would be defined as the exact opposite of what I wrote there.

I will just share what I see as the top negative quality that I think is present in too many churches. It is this: People (Christians) being more interested in their own preferences and opinions than in Jesus's mission for the church and the lost! Church has become about "me" for far too many people and it is hindering the spread of the gospel...a gospel that is all about sacrifice.

...greater love has no one than this....that he lay his life down for his friend! (John 15)

...if anyone would come after me, he must deny himself, take up his cross and follow me! (Luke 9)

No comments: