Friday, May 9, 2008

Issues of Trust

To maintain relational integrity and healthy teams we must chose to trust and be trustworthy.

Choosing to Trust:
Often there are unexplainable gaps between what we expect people to do and what they actually do. When those gaps appear:
  1. We CHOOSE what to put in the gap.
  2. Our choices determine the INTEGRITY of the relationship.
  3. We can choose to fill the gap with trust or suspicion.
As believers, we are called to trust. (I Cor. 13:7)

There are 3 commitments we need to make in choosing to trust:
  1. When there is a gap between what I expect and what I experience, I will fill it with TRUST.
  2. When I observe someone filling a gap with suspicion, I will come to your DEFENSE.
  3. If what I experience begins to erode my trust, I will come directly to YOU about it!
Choosing to be Trustworthy:
To be trustworthy does NOT mean that you are flawless. It simply means that you are worthy of trust. Trustworthy people address the gaps they create! There are 3 commitments we need to make in being trustworthy:
  1. I will do what I say....and when I don't, I will tell you!
  2. I commit not to over promise and under deliver. But, if it looks like that is where things are headed, I will tell you.
  3. If you confront me about the gaps that I have created, I will tell you the truth.
Harboring suspicion and mistrust will poison the culture and your organization. (I think that this teaching applies to marriages, families and friendships as well.)

3 comments:

Tanya said...

Good one...

Anonymous said...

Trust is earned through continuing faithful behavior. Too much, too quick, brings disappointment in marriages, churches and friendships.

Noah said...

Anonymous,

With all due love and respect...

I disagree with you. My interpretation of I Corinthians 13:7 is literal. "Love always trusts." I think that people's hurt has taught them not to trust until it is earned. I choose to approach that differently than society teaches us. I trust first. Then deal with broken trust in Biblical ways if and when it is broken. We can be too guarded. I would rather live my short life trusting people and assuming the best than protecting myself from everybody. Love always trusts!

We can agree to disagree. Peace.