Thursday, February 21, 2008

Choosing What to Hear

OK, this post is me being transparent. Perhaps more transparent than some of you think I should be. I look at it this way. This is my blog! This is my place and avenue to share my heart. The good, the great, the vision, the memories, but even the bad, the frustrating and the personal. I am sometimes cautious as I work to find the blogging balance, but today I am needing to bear heart...

Leadership is not easy. You are constantly in the spotlight. People are regularly formulating opinions about the ways in which you have violated their perception of who you should be. They also need someone to blame when there church looks and feels differently than they want it to. I am the perfect target for some. It must be my fault. I am the Lead Pastor. Hence, people have negative stuff to say. All that is normal. I know that. I need to just accept it and get used to it. Here is the problem. You would be shocked at how little of this negative I get the privilege to hear (and I do mean privilege because it almost always proves mutually enriching when people biblically confront). It is shared with plenty of people...except me! I have been adjusting to this reality for almost years now and it doesn't seem to be getting much easier. This is an area of my leadership that needs work. I am always looking to hear the next criticism. It is not healthy and I will not be able to function long term that way.

Well, I think that I turned over a new leaf today (with the help of a dear friend). I decided to make a new commitment that I think will pay big dividends over the long haul...and is quite biblical. Here it is:

I know longer am willing to hear or entertain any negative opinions about me unless they are coming directly from the person concerned. This would include:
  • He told me that...
  • She told me that....
  • I heard that so and so feels...
  • 3 people told me...
  • Older people feel....
  • Young people feel....
  • I hear people saying that...
I can't hear this stuff and function in a healthy way. I am human and it hurts. It leaves me unsure of what to do, what to believe, who to confront, whether to confront or how to change. Hence, my new philosophy. The only things that are important enough to hear and respond to are the things that people are willing to talk to me about directly according to Matthew 18.

So, I ask you a favor. If you ever hear anything negative about me...
  1. Don't tell me! I choose not to hear their concerns through you.
  2. And send that person to me! I would cherish the opportunity to hear from them and they will reep reward for biblical obedience! And by the way, they will have great influence on me and I will listen and take it very seriously out of respect for their courage and the quality of their character!!
Maybe you are reading this and you have something you want to share. I welcome hearing from you directly. You may have read this and thought...wow! Pretty direct today, Noah! My question to you is...where is the value in inauthenticity?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!! It’s about time, I am so tired of seeing people hurting you and I think this is an awesome & biblical approach.

I love you and just wanted you to know I am proud of you for finally sticking up for yourself and all of the negative comments and to people who “deliver negative comments”…..

I couldn’t be more proud of you then right now. I hope & pray that people will respect your wishes!!!!!

Your Sister ~ Selah

Ben Rainey said...

Noah,
Don't worry about authenticity. No one is more secure than those that can speak the truth in love. Love ya bro.

--Ben

Anonymous said...

I think the earlier we all realise what church is all about, the more we pay attention to thing that matter most and less of how we think about ourselves and the people around us especially people in leadership.
Main focus should be on God and not on people or leaders; afterall they all still human and the race is an individual race, we all have to account for our lives not others.
"Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith"
Shalom!
Uche

Anonymous said...

To God Be All The Glory! It is a Great Day when we find our own voice and determine in our own lives what is important and who(if anybody)we should listen to. God DOES speak to each of us! He is who we should be faithful to listen to and receive rebuke from. He is our source our resource and the giver of understanding! Seek Him First! Amen Pastor Noah, Amen! UCJ

Noah said...

Amen, Amen and Amen! Thanks, friends. I really appreciate this forum in which to bear my heart to dear people in my life....like YOU!

KevinS said...

Pastor, stick to this one. The church we left was eventually split in two because people didn't Biblically confront. We didn't have a unifying vision at the time and when people don't have a battle to come together to fight they instead create one in their midst.

The head pastor got hit by third-party, vague complaints, mostly from years ago. It wore him down and made him defensive. This made people even less likely to confront Biblically and so it snowballed.

It is no coincidence that the NT speaks so often on the evils that the tongue can produce.

Anonymous said...

anonymous
You are a great Pastor so setting limits is the way to go.Have no guilt feelings.You Love what you do and it shows.But the same negativity has also driven us away on wednesdays and sundays as these negative people also do the same to the members and now we are internet and tv church goers and you dont see us no more.Looking forward to come back when the negative behaviour changes.ITS emotionally draining!!! "30 days to Taming your tongue" by Deborah Smith PEGUES is a must read for church goers and soon your church will be packed to capacity.God Bless YOU.