Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Sleeping at the Church, Loving the Needy!

Or not! I may not be sleeping much. I am staying at the church tonight with the guys from the Safe Haven Homeless ministry that we are hosting this week. It has been a neat evening. A highlight was certainly seeing my brother in law Randy cut the guys hair for free. They waited in line all evening as he made them all look WAY DIFFERENT than when they came in tonight! Good stuff.
Today, in my quiet time, I decided to read verses about ministering to the needy. 2 verses emerged as ones that set the tone well for why we would engage in such ministry:

"There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land." Deuteronomy 15:11

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in." Matthew 25:35

No comments: