Sunday, January 6, 2008

Can you "One-Up" Jesus?

In reading, reflecting and praying through these EARLY hours this morning and in preparation for my message, I felt the Lord really solidify something in me. I have witnessed church after church remain visionless or argue and debate in meetings and sessions over their vision...what it is and who determines it? These type of questions and conversations have certainly been present in this church over the 4 1/2 years that I have been here. And while churches spin their wheels trying to gain vision traction, I cannot help but wonder whether they are genuinely just missing the scripture from their conversation or whether they are inadvertently trying to ONE-UP the vision that Jesus declared for His church?

Here is the word I felt penetrate my spirit in a strong way over the last week and this morning...

Jesus has already determined our vision (or as I want us to begin saying at CCF...our PURPOSE)!! That solves the questions of what and who? No meetings needed to decide that. Just teaching scripture!

The part that Jesus left us to determine with the help of His Holy Spirit is HOW we do it? Given our context, our place in time, geography, our culture and demography...how do we live out God's purpose for us?

Note: For summarized edition of Jesus' vision for His followers and for his church, see the Great Commandment (Matthew 22:37-40) and the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20). If you don't have the time to link to those verses, it just says to LOVE GOD, LOVE PEOPLE & MAKE DISCIPLES!!

--Noah

No comments: