Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Without Love

The Family and I returned safely from a fabulous weekend trip to PA! The friends we visited were hospitable and fun and the time of ministry Sunday was enriching. We spoke 3 times on Sunday at Salem Ridge Mennonite Church. The people were exceptionally warm and open to the move of God in their church. I encouraged them with hope from the words of Habakkuk 1:5 ("Look and Wonder, be amazed, for I am going to do things among you that you would not believe even if you were told.") I also encouraged them that a good Christian is one who really wants to be one. A good mother is one who really wants to be one. And a growing church is one who really wants to be one! Their desire to reach people is strong. Their heart and intention is right! May God bless this congregation!

Throughout the busy day I had yesterday, I had to remind myself to stop and spend a few minutes in the word. I know, I am the only one that has ever had that problem. Anyway, I felt drawn to read a passage of scripture that I have read and heard so many times. A passage that defines love, what it looks like and what it doesn't. But something hit me differently when I read I Corinthians 13 yesterday and again this morning. It was the profound comparisons in the first few verses.

If I speak in the tongues of men and angels...without love...I am making a bunch of noise!

If I prophesy, understand mysteries, know everything, and have intense faith...without love...I am nothing!

If I give everything that I have to the poor and after that even sacrifice my own life...without love...I don't gain a thing. (This one is especially interesting when you compare it to John 15:13 where Jesus says that "there is no greater love than to lay your life down for your friend". However, reading this text in I Corinthians, I understand that if I lay down my life for my friend "without love"then it was a worthless death.)

Wow! In my opinion, tongues, prophecy, knowledge, faith, total benevolence and life sacrifice are some pretty phenomenal things. But without love, they are nullified. Think about that! How many times do we do things...maybe even great things...with motivations other than love? What does that mean for the things that we just did then? Are these words in I Corinthians true for us today? Is there anything that we have done or are doing that is nullified...worth nothing? Or is everything you do done in love? Just something to think about.

No comments: